Thursday, October 20, 2005

Apparently I've distinguished myself

Well, this is a surprise. Vancouver Community College, where I volunteer my time on the Program Advisory Committee, has seen fit to present me with an Award of Distinction, for "outstanding contributions to my field of endeavor". This is flattering in itself, but this is a new program for the 40th anniversary year of the college, and apparently I'm getting the first one. Although there will only be one per year from now on, this year they're presenting one for each decade the college has been around. The other three people (alphabetically, of course): * Ujjal Dosanjh, the Federal Minister of Health, and former Premier of British Columbia * Paul Mulangu, who founded the Centre of Integration for African Immigrants (CIAI) * Eliza Olsen, who founded the Burns Bog Conservation Society Wow. Two prominent community activists and a federal cabinet minister. And lil' ol' me. Thanks.